Laughter meditation involves three things:
- Gentle movement and breathing exercises.
- Laughing for a few minutes which begins with smiling, giggling and then full blown laughter! At first you may have to fake it, but simulated laughter is as beneficial to our physical, mental and emotional health as real laughter. Laughter is contagious, so expect to have fun!
- Following the laughter, you will sit in silent reflection or meditation, where you are mindful and present. Notice any feelings that arise but do not think about or attach to them. You can also add some simple breath work to your practice.
Laughter meditation encourages positive energy and stillness. It is also a great bonding activity for kids, parents and families.
Benefits of Laughter Therapy
Many of the benefits for laughter meditation include: improved mood, increased positive emotions and a reduction in stress.
Physical symptoms that may improve according to research include:
- Lower cortisol
- Reduced pain
- Improved sleep
- Lessens depression and anxiety symptoms
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Reduces inflammation
- Boosts immune system
You can even burn a few calories doing laughter meditation!
Next time you are feeling down, bored or frustrated, grab your kid or your cat and spend a few minutes enjoying some laughter and some stillness. You are guaranteed to feel the benefits of laughter meditation.
Ha Ha Ha!